This is so awesome! I love that all of these artists came together to make this happen for Haiti.
"We Are the World" is a song and charity single originally recorded by the supergroup USA for Africa in 1985. It was written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie, and co-produced by Quincy Jones and Michael Omartian for the album We Are the World. The original song was recorded exactly 25 years ago for starving people in Africa.
The new version of the song was recorded on February 1, 2010, and lasted fourteen hours. Eighty five musicians were reportedly involved in the song's recording, which was held in the same place as the original on Beverly Boulevard in Los Angeles, California. Also similar to the 1985 process, some of the participating musicians were already in Los Angeles to attend an awards ceremony: the 52nd Grammy Awards. The new version features updated lyrics and music, as well as a rap segment pertaining to Haiti, which was written by will.i.am. Other writers included Kanye West, Jones and LL Cool J. Lionel Richie and Quincy Jones revealed that Michael Jackson's younger sister Janet duets with her late brother, as per a request from their mother Katherine Jackson. In the official video, there is archive footage of Michael Jackson from the original 1985 recording, which I thought was pretty dang cool! Because I know if he was still alive he would have participated in this new version. Another thing I noticed, Jamie Foxx who played Ray Charles in a movie, sings Ray Charles part in the new version as Ray Charles. Pretty Cool!
Here is the 1985 version, at the end of the video it's lists the artists that were involved with it. I didn't know all of them since it came out the year I was born!
Here is the 2010 Version!
Monday, February 15, 2010
WE ARE THE WORLD
Posted by TonyandBet at 2:04 PM
Labels: Entertainment
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment